March 16th, 2020
Dear Paso Robles Chamber Members,
The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce is committed to bringing you the resources you need in order to efficiently and effectively manage your business during this time. With the potential outbreak of the Coronavirus we understand the primary and secondary impacts this may cause to you as a businessperson.
We are in conversation with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and other similar organizations including our tourism partners, city officials, and community partners in order to effectively bring you the resources you need for healthy business practices during this time. As more information is brought to us, we will continue to pass that information on to you.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the SLO County Board of Public Health have recommended keeping gatherings to under 50 people. This has an impact on any business that relies on high traffic, in person interactions.
It is critical that we support these businesses during this temporary slow in traffic. Please consider the following measures to ensure the continued economic health of impacted business.
- Order food to go and tip service staff generously
- Write positive reviews for local business on Yelp and other review sites
- Buy gift cards to your favorite local businesses to use once the situation improves
- Consider donating the cost of your ticket to a cancelled event back to the event hosts instead of asking for a refund
The Chamber is also working with platform providers to establish an online communal marketplace where people can buy gift cards to their favorite local small business. Keep an eye out for more communication from our team about how you can participate.
Please note that the City of Paso Robles has temporarily limited on-site alcohol sales from Monday, March 16 at 5pm to Wednesday, March 18 at 12:01pm. We urge you to comply with this executive order to mitigate virus transmission during the Saint Patrick’s Day holiday.
California Governor Newsom has called for closure of bars, pubs, and wineries. The Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance would like to inform you that this closure only applies to in-person tastings, not wine pickups or sales.
All members are encouraged to follow CDC guidelines’ preventative workplace measures.
Some good news is on the horizon. The Federal government is posed to pass a Coronavirus response act that aims to, among other things, provide relief to small business and their employees. H.R. 6201, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act has several provisions relevant to small business in Paso Robles. Please read the full text for specific information as to the qualification conditions.
- Section 4102: 1 billion for unemployment compensation related to the virus.
- Section 7001: Refundable tax credit equal to 100% of qualified paid sick leave paid by employers.
- Section 7002: Refundable tax credit equal to 100% for sick leave for self-employed individuals who must self-quarantine due to Coronavirus.
The Chamber, in accordance with CDC and SLO County Public Health Department guidelines, is cancelling all in person events through April 10th, 2020.
- California Department of Public Health: cdph.ca.gov
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/coronavirus2019
- Resources for employers and workers: labor.ca.gov/coronavirus
- SLO County Department of Public Health: slocounty.ca.gov
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Guide: uschamber.com/coronavirus
- Visit California Coronavirus Response: industry.visitcalifornia.com/coronavirus
The next few weeks will be challenging for all in our city and throughout the world. However, it is in times like these that the human spirit shines brightest. This spirit of unwavering determination and selfless compassion resides within the hearts of all who live here. Let us take this time to appreciate all we have worked so hard to gain and the loved ones around us that give us strength to move forward. With the right precautions and health measures we can mitigate the impact on our community. We love this city and know its residents have what it takes to see this through.
Gina Fitzpatrick & The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce Team
1225 Park Street | Paso Robles, CA 93446